Client: European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Country of assignment: Bulgaria
Description of actual services provided:
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) established the credit facility, whereby the EBRD extends loans to Participating Banks (PBs) and PBs provide loans to private sector companies for industrial energy efficiency projects. The objective of the program was to improve energy efficiency in processes and equipment of the industry sector as outlined in the Green Paper on Energy Efficiency adopted by the European Commission on 22 June 2005.
The objective of the assignment was to support the preparation, successful operation, administration and monitoring of the Facility by providing technical, marketing and administration services. The Consultant’s services were concentrated on three main pillars: 1) marketing of the Facility and developing a pipeline of industrial energy efficiency projects; 2) preparation of sub-projects for the end-borrowers and PBs; and 3) administration and monitoring of the Facility.
Specific responsibilities of the Encon Team included:
- Facility marketing
- EUEEFF website design and update
- Project pipeline development, supporting project pre-screening and loan origination
- Identifying eligible projects
- Energy auditing and energy audit report preparation
- Developing REUPs including Completion Validation Reviews (CVRs) forms
- Supporting project sponsors throughout loan negotiations and loan application/ approval process
- Providing consistent communication among the PFIs, the developers of projects, and other stakeholders
- Ensuring that grant funds and projects are consistent with the eligibility criteria and supported by an appropriate level of validation
- Project portfolio monitoring
- Assistance to project sponsors in the preparation and passing of CVRs for obtaining incentive grants from the Kozluduy International Decommissioning Support Fund
- Establishing and supporting accurate, standardized and efficient tracking, monitoring and reporting systems
The total number Rational Energy Utilisation Plans (REUPs) submitted to PBs was 49. The total project investments were EUR 23.3 M including 20 M of debt financing under EU EEFFF.